The personal website of
Abraham (Aperahama) Parangi
for the purpose of showcasing works and hosting projects.
I am a 26 year old Computer Science major at Cornell University. I enjoy making things that other people enjoy. I hope you will find something worth looking at here. If you see something you like send me an email and maybe we can work together.
Cloth is a clean document formatting tool. I was jealous of those beautiful LaTeX documents my friends could make but being a foolish and stubborn man, I decided to go my own route and design a simple document formatting tool that could output to PDF and would look nice on my iPad.
An ongoing project in WebGL performance and music visualization. Really just a sweet starry scene at the moment. The project links to the most compatible version but if you have an up-to-date version of chrome or safari you could try the development prototype here.
Ghostwriter is a cute experiment inspired by an assignment in document searching. The concept is as follows: the user writes something in the space provided, (perhaps a note, a phrase, or a question) and the app utilizes cloud computing to rapidly serve up the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe to help.
I'm really into computer generated or computer mediated art, and this is kinda part of that. Liberty is a set of images generated from Liberty Leading the People and other romantic works through an additive process that aims to perceptually simulate the constructive process of painting, where the artist produces an increasingly accurate approximation of their desired image.
Ants Can't Read
An experiment in creating an attractive depth of field effect using CSS and javascript. Successful but seems to be highly browser dependent. The title is an artifact of the question that inspired this project: what would a book look like from the perspective of an ant? The answer is not important because ants are stupid and cannot read.
Flight Calculator
This is an airport distance calculator that I wrote in a night for an interview. It features auto-suggest, calculation of distance between two airports and also rendering of the great arc between them. It's quite hackish but I'm reasonably happy with the result.
A project created for a Facebook sponsored hackathon which won second place. Technically I started with a team but given that my only team member started playing Starcraft 2 half an hour in I take all credit. Reddidata is a tool for evaluating the interconnectedness of different reddit communities.
An offshoot of, or more correctly the inspiration of, Reddidata. Reddisphere was to be a 3D visualization of reddit posts and communities. At the time, however, my technical expertise was insufficient to realize the vision I had for the project. It is currently on the mental stack of possible projects.
This project was an investigation into a finding low tech but attractive rendering of the earth. To be more accurate, I spent a few hours making a model of the earth because I had never done so before and I was curious. I eventually turned it into a clock. I'm not sure if it actually functions as a clock.
Erosion and Terrain Rendering
This is an investigation of computer simulated Erosion on a homogenous arbitrary terrain as well as terrain rendering. This shot shows two pyramids, one of which has undergone the erosion process. This project also implemented a simple adaptive meshing system whereby a regular heightmap mesh was perturbed in order to ensure that sharp edges were preserved. It was reasonably successful.
The end of my experiments with the Kinect. Unfortunately brought to a close by small technical challenges and large scholastic challenges. Was originally meant to be a Kinect focused party tool, whereby users interact with a virtual mesh and control the music, which in turn also interacts with the mesh and generates sparks.
This is an investigation into computationally cheap and physically accurate bokeh. Local performance is quite fast so I believe it shows some promise, at least for my own future projects. Lots and lots of precomputation are involved so it may not be suitable for an online solution without intelligent file size reduction.
I feel like a huge dork calling this algorithmic art but whatever. The images are generated by advecting dye through a vector field which is defined as the electrostatic field generated by a set of point charges, which also comprise the sources of the dye. There are no sinks because my advection scheme does not conserve dye.
An experiment in cheap, attractive city rendering. The city layout was generated based upon simple subdivision with a certain amount of perturbation to ensure that street angles were near, but not exactly 90°. I'm generally happy with the results as a quick and dirty first approach.